Monday, January 6, 2014

2013 End of Year Survey... (Erm... A little late.)

So, I’m pretty far behind at the moment if you haven’t noticed. I’m playing catch-up. A post very soon will also get further explanation on this. Nonetheless, I had this 2013 End of Year Survey over halfway filled out before the end of December. I didn’t want to waste that amount of time I’d spent copying and pasting all of the questions, then filling everything out by NOT posting, so I’m just going through with it and posting this anyway. Even if I am a week late. BAHAHA. Hope you enjoy the answers either way.

(This survey was created by Perpetual Page Turner)

 

 

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Best Supernatural/Paranormal (YA): The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, Warm Bodies
Best Fantasy (YA): Crown of Midnight, Desert Tales (Melissa Marr--no review posted at blog so no link back)
Best Fantasy (leaning more toward the adult side): Mistborn -- though I think this is the only one I read in that area for 2013 sadly.
Best Horror/Thriller (YA): Monsters
Best Contemporary (YA/NA): Just One Day, The Art of Wishing, Falling For Hamlet

Favorite Guys of 2013: Adrian, Willem, Prince Dorian, Gavriel, Kelsier, and Wolf.

Fave Gals: Tana, Ophelia, Sydney, Allison, Margo, Alex, Celaena.

 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Requiem by Lauren Oliver, Joyland by Stephen King, and Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?

Falling For Hamlet

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Just One Day, Falling For Hamlet, The Art of Wishing, Warm Bodies, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, Mistborn, and The Humans (also since I love Sarah J. Maas and Ilsa J. Bick so much, I’m always recommending their books--and loved Crown of Midnight and the two Bick books I read in 2013 as well).

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Lindsay Ribar

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Mistborn

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Seriously. The answers are going to start getting repetitive. I can’t pick just one on this one either. Sorry. Three: Mistborn, Crown of Midnight, and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Loved these covers particularly--even though I didn’t always love the book:

Tandem, The Art of Wishing, How My Summer Went Up In Flames, Rush, Blaze, Joyland, Cruel Beauty

11. Most memorable character in 2013?

Wolf from Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick. I think he’s just one of the most memorable characters EVER for me. Also Gavriel from The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and Kelsier from Mistborn. (Are you seeing my pattern yet with my favorites??)

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Mistborn.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?

Guess. *cough cough* Mistborn. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. Crown of Midnight. Monsters. (Monsters… why did this trilogy have to ennnddd??!)

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

Mistborn!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

I don't know to be fair. I can completely fawn all over it a book, but unless I re-read a couple times, it's hard for me to memorize exact lines very often. I do like this one quote from Warm Bodies (which I read just before the movie released on DVD or something like that).

"What wonderful thing didn't start out scary?" -Warm Bodies

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest book would probably be Will O’ the Wisp (haven’t reviewed yet--graphic novel). Longest would have to be Monsters at just over 820 pages.

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Several. I’m always left with these moments, especially when it comes to ARCs. Only downfall about them. I’d had an ARC of Requiem by Lauren Oliver and I remember absolutely freaking out and just wanting to scream at my bestie, but I couldn’t because the book hadn’t released and she hadn’t got a chance to read it yet. :/ LOL.

 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Loved Gavriel and Tana. And the friendship between Kelsier and Vin.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, Desert Tales, Crown of Midnight, Monsters

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Mistborn -- thanks to Reader of Fictions and PaperFantasies for the endless bugging of needing to be read.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Seems I was a bit all over the place in reading. Hahaha, but I think I read more out of the Contemporary and Fantasy sides than anything else.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Gavriel.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

The Art of Wishing

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

The Eternity Cure, The Coldest Girl in Cold Town, Mistborn

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

The Art of Wishing, Falling For Hamlet, Just One Day, The Indigo Spell, Crown of Midnight, and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Crown of Midnight, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, Mistborn

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

The Art of Wishing

 


Book Blogging/Reading Life 2013




1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?

Bekka’s at Pretty Deadly Reviews (but now she is a co-blogger with a fave, Great Imaginations), Jessie at Ageless Pages Reviews, Alexia at Adventures in Reading, Debby at Snuggly Oranges, There Were Books Involved, and Writer of Wrongs.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?

Positive: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.
Negative: The Dark Heroine.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

Had a few I really enjoyed putting up. Some with a bit more recognition than others, but eh, oh well. Haha. I liked doing Books and Crafts, Bookish Bucket List, Let’s Talk About Sex, and What Makes a Person a True Fan.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

I honestly couldn’t tell you. I enjoy a lot of posts from regularly-visited blogs… Or else I wouldn’t visit them regularly. :P I did want to add that I always love doing group reads/reviews and a couple of months back took part in one with Amelia Anne is Dead & Gone--and that was a thought-provoking discussion amongst ourselves that we shared across our blogs. Those are always fun!

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

For this year I really loved participating in Armchair BEA and the Halloween Hop Kara & Lyn hosted at Great Imaginations. Also really loved the 15 Day Blogger Challenge! Really wish I could’ve went to an actual event, but I don’t have any signings near me unfortunately. Buuuuttt, I am going to BEA 2014, WHOOP WHOOP!

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

Getting my first-ever physical ARC of a requested book from a pub--the last book to a one of my fave series ever, and then completely devouring it (Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick). :D Also made some new friends through Twitter/met through another blogger bestie and so happy to know them now & excited to meet them in the coming months at BEA! I don’t know what I’d do without ‘em. :D

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

With views it was the group review with Jessie and Lyn of Amelia Anne is Dead & Gone

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

All of my Sound Effects posts. It was/is a feature I love doing, but never get any kind of attention on it. Lots of page views, no comments. Lol. So I am always putting it off for a period of time instead of posting it a regularly as I used to when I first started the feature. Haha.

 

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

BookLikes. :D I don't post there often, but I do think the Tumblr-style site for bookish people is great!

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Yes. I completed the 2013 reading challenge I set for myself. While it was much lower than I normally set, I was relieved to have get it done at least. It’d been a busy year, and so far 2014 seems to have started out as quite hectic as well (but will at least be easier on me than last I’m sure).


Looking Ahead:


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

It’d been marked as ‘currently reading’ and I’d read about 100 pages but then I got busy with a lot of things, so it’d been put on the back-burner for a bit: For Darkness Shows the Stars, then immediately on to its companion: Across A Star-Swept Sea.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

DREAMS OF GODS & MONSTERS, Y’ALL!

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Prisoner of Night and Fog (Anne Blankman), Stolen Songbird (Danielle L. Jensen), A Shard of Ice (Alivia Anders), Red Rising (Pierce Brown)

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Laini Taylor), Into the Still Blue (Veronica Rossi--even though I still need to read the second book ughhh), The Creators (Tiffany Truitt),

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

I know I definitely hope to get more involved with my blog this year after having a busy last-half of 2013. Blogging has been such a huge part of my life for nearly three years and I never plan to lose that--even if I do get a little behind from time to time. I want to participate in more memes, features, etc. I want to get a lot more active in the community. I’m looking to pick a co-blogger with me soon and get things really rolling around here also. I hope to get more classics read. To re-read some of my favorites. Read more outside of my usual comfort zone, too. I know it said ‘one thing’ but I don’t care. Haha.

 


 

Well, that seems to be it! Hope you all had a great end to your 2013 and all off to a fabulous start with your 2014!

 

 


 




1 comment:

  1. So should I read Mistborn? ;)

    I want to do another group review sometime with you and Jessie. It was so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...