Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review: Warm Bodies

Title: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Genre(s): Paranormal, Horror, Fiction, Romance

See it at Goodreads


R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse. Just dreams.

After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and strangely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a burst of vibrant color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that R lives in. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world.

Scary, funny, and surprisingly poignant, Warm Bodies is about being alive, being dead and the blurry line in between.



I’d been wanting to read Warm Bodies before I heard about the movie. This book was on my wish list for some time--almost a year, maybe, or longer--and then I saw the movie trailer last month and I just began to crave it even more. I finally got my hands on a copy and there wasn’t any hesitation in starting it. Once I had it, I started it that day while putting aside everything else with high hopes and a lot of excitement.

And I’m so happy to say that I wasn’t let down. Zombies, some humor, romance… it was all neatly wrapped in this lovely, but unfortunately short (or it seemed that way), adventure. I loved following R around. I adored Julie’s tough take-charge attitude. The writing style was poetic at times, weaving words and thoughts together beautifully, and the action sequences packed a punch. It gave me so many emotions. I didn’t want to stop turning the pages until I finished.

While my review is short, there’s not much to really say other than I loved this book. This is easily one of my favorites now and will remain on my shelf for a long time.


“In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, everything collapses.” --R


 





Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I want to read this sooo bad... just have to get it past the other books on my TBR list!

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first zombie novel I'm actually, ridiculously excited about reading. It's on its way to my mailbox as I type this! I just have to be finished in time to go see the movie.

    Great review. I love the quote you chose to add.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of the zombie genre but after watching the movie version of this book, I can't help but imagine how better the book might be. I am actually amazed that this genre can be a hit because I never imagined liking this new take on zombies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...