Monday, November 19, 2012

ARC Review: Undeadly

Title: Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries #1)
Author: Michele Vail
Genre: YA Paranormal, Fantasy
Release Date: November 20th

See it at Goodreads


The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper—and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she's shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite boarding school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath.

Life at Nekyia has its plusses. Molly has her own personal ghoul, for one. Rick follows her there out of the blue, for another...except, there's something a little off about him. When students at the academy start to die and Rath disappears, Molly starts to wonder if anything is as it seems. Only one thing is certain—-Molly's got an undeadly knack for finding trouble....




Dear Undeadly,

 
You not only gave me a fun, refreshing read, but there was something there in your pages I found absolutely entertaining. Maybe more entertaining than I should have liked. I admit to a bit of surprise by the immediate connection I had. I wasn’t able to quit turning those pages. What was it that made you stand-out so much compared to the other YA books I’d read all year?? Why couldn’t I forget you, even days after I finished reading you??!

 
Pixie


To get my point across, there are diary entries throughout Undeadly, and I felt the need to start my review with a short snippet myself. Normally, I’m not fond of most styles like this, but it worked in Undeadly, and I really quite liked the informal style and tone of the narration. I have to say I was wary in picking this title up. Wary and excited. The blurb reminded me a bit of the House of Night (um, ew) but with the idea of reapers and so much ancient Egyptian mythology ideas behind it (definitely awesome), I couldn’t help but feel drawn to it either way. I only hoped before starting that it wouldn’t be a let down. And it really wasn’t in the end.

There are some odd nitpicks I might point out. There are some annoyances that I’m sure would bother some readers--like when it comes to the big plot twist, there is a lot of foreshadowing, and I pretty much had it guessed halfway through reading. And Molly makes some stupid mistakes at times, to be honest. But for once in one of my rare occurrences, I wasn’t over-analyzing everything, and just genuinely enjoying the story itself because I was so entertained by it.

One thing I might say: I do say Whatevs a lot myself. It’s in my daily vocabulary/texting. But when it comes to the narration of a character, I don’t like seeing that word so much. It read funny and I often got annoyed seeing Molly use it so often throughout the story.

All in all, I found Undeadly to be an entertaining page turner, refreshing, and down-right fun. I look forward to the next installment for sure!



  Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, you're the first person I've seen who enjoyed this one. There's a person for every book, I guess. :-p

    I don't think this book would be my thing, but I'm glad you had fun. I know I've been super entertained by books everyone else pretty much hated (Eve & Adam), so I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...