Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: Greta and the Goblin King

Title: Greta and the Goblin King
Author: Chloe Jacobs
Genre: YA Fantasy

See it at Goodreads


While trying to save her brother from a witch’s fire four years ago, Greta was thrown in herself, falling through a portal to Mylena, a dangerous world where humans are the enemy and every ogre, ghoul, and goblin has a dark side that comes out with the eclipse.

To survive, Greta has hidden her humanity and taken the job of bounty hunter—and she’s good at what she does. So good, she’s caught the attention of Mylena’s young goblin king, the darkly enticing Isaac, who invades her dreams and undermines her will to escape.

But Greta’s not the only one looking to get out of Mylena. An ancient evil knows she’s the key to opening the portal, and with the next eclipse mere days away, every bloodthirsty creature in the realm is after her—including Isaac. If Greta fails, she and the lost boys of Mylena will die. If she succeeds, no world will be safe from what follows her back...



I’m going to admit now that my expectation were rather high going into Greta and the Goblin King. I’d been waiting for this book for months, filled with excitement simply from the blurb and cover alone. There was something there that kept screaming READ READ READ.

And after reading, was I disappointed? Not. At. All. I loved this book. I adored the cast of characters and the world of Mylena was fascinating. There were a few nitpicks (like a potential love triangle I could have personally done without), but all in all, Greta and the Goblin King was such a refreshing read from the piles of YA that I’ve picked up in the last year. The world-building was interesting, and I wish I could’ve learned so much more about the history of Mylena. Scenes were easy to visualize. Creatures were a bit creepy. Greta and Isaac’s relationship felt realistic and their banter back and forth was often amusing. I continuously found myself cheering the both of them on throughout the story, despite their obstacles.

Greta is a fantastic heroine: strong-willed, determined, loyal, compassionate, and sometimes even a bit stubborn. But she is also vulnerable and very human. I really liked her. But the best thing I liked about reading this story is that it wasn’t written in first person. I know…how weird is it for me to sit here and point out something like that and talk about how much I liked it? But I think that’s what made everything come together so much better too. I like first person if it’s fitting, but I’m really glad it wasn’t the style of this one. I felt more connected to the cast and scenery through the third person from here.

As far as the very minor nitpicks go, I didn’t feel it too much in the romance department sometimes. I liked Isaac. It was quite obvious he had the most history--and chemistry--with Greta. But at times, I was confused or questioning the notion of growing attraction. In the beginning, it’s quite clear Greta hates him…then suddenly she feels differently, and I didn’t personally feel that transition, or find anything that could trigger that transition. Then there’s a potential love triangle that I felt was all wrong, and I really didn’t feel that romance at all. But I did like Isaac and Greta together a lot more toward the end. So I’m quite looking forward to seeing how it all develops in the coming installments.

I read this title in less than a day really. I just unfortunately didn’t have the time to post my thoughts and review up during the tour. But it’s a great page-turner full of action and romance. Afterward, I watched one of my favorite movies ever: Labyrinth. Oooohh yeahhh…

Greta and the Goblin King is refreshing and fun and magical! Next one soon, please!!

 



 Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...