Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Review: Delirium

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA, Dystopian, Romance

See it at Goodreads


Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


Delirium is an odd world. A unique world. Something I could have never thought of, but found strangely realistic and oh so romantic. Love is a disease. How outrageous is this? But it works fantastically well here. There’s an explanation. There are strange backgrounds and science behind this. The characters are complex, and the story is beautiful. It flowed seamlessly and I am not afraid to admit that I cried at the end.


This world is scary. Love is a crime. It’s a disease. You have to be cured of it by the time you’re eighteen. You’re emotionless after this. It’s heart-wrenching to think of a world like this. My head was constantly spinning at the emotional turmoil in this book. I adored the characters that were strongly developed with each their own unique personality. I’m really at a loss of words of how to properly review this one. I should just leave it at this and say that if you haven’t read it, love Dystopia and looking for an interesting new, world, read it. This idea could have gone really bad, but Oliver did a tremendous job with it. I was captivated from the first page until the last. Speaking of last: insane cliffhanger. Must have Pandemonium soon.


Highly recommended.


4. 5 stars!













Cover Comparison

Which one do you like better? The original hardback cover (on the right) or the new special edition and paperback cover (on the left)?

While I think the special edition is also very pretty, I just have a preference toward the original. I like the simplicity of it and the blue. That’s just me though. :P










Photobucket

1 comment:

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...