Saturday, June 25, 2011

Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 1 & 2

Thank you, NetGalley, for the opportunity to read both Volumes 1 & 2 of Season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer! This of course does not influence my opinion in any way, and this is a double-review post!







Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Vol. 1

Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers - newly legion - have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything's fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains. Meanwhile, one of the "Buffy" decoy slayers is going through major pain of her own. Buffy creator Joss Whedon brings Buffy back to Dark Horse in this direct follow-up to season seven of the smash-hit TV series. The bestselling and critically acclaimed issues #1-5 are collected here for the first time, as are their covers by Jo Chen and Georges Jeanty. --Goodreads

I've always been a huge fan of Buffy. I still watch the show because I just can't get enough of it. I swear, there's not a day that goes by that I wish they would just bring it back (original cast of course, even though it's been a few years and I'm sure everyone has gone off and started doing new projects by now). But oh, how I miss it!! And after reading this, it just made my longing for it even worse.

From page one, the reader is immediately immersed right back into the story of Buffy from where it left off at the end of Season 7. The characters continue to make you laugh with their witty remarks, and the villians keep coming. It stayed very true to everything and I loooved that so much because when I initially went in to it, I was wary.

To be honest, this was one of my first attempts at reading graphic novels. I don't read this style much. It's not really my thing. But for Buffy, I definitely will.. and I know I'll continue on.

My only complaint: Too short!! I read it in only a couple of hours. Haha. :P

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Vol. 2

Eisner award-winning writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) tackles Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight with "No Future for You." When a rogue debutant Slayer begins to use her power for evil, Giles is forced to recruit the rebellious Faith, who isn't exactly known for her good deeds. Giles offers Faith a clean slate if she can stop this snooty Slayer from wreaking total havoc - that is, if Buffy doesn't beat her to it. Georges Jeanty (The American Way) remains at the top of his game as series artist, and Whedon stays on as "Executive Producer" in this direct follow-up to Season Seven of the smash-hit TV series. --Goodreads

Vol. 2 was even better than the first. Once again, I was cautious. But this time it was because this volume was a bit more focused on Faith, the other "veteran" slayer. Perhaps I'm one of the few whose never been really a big fan of Faith's character. I don't know why if you ask me, because I couldn't tell you. I just never got into her character during the show. She annoyed me mostly. I do know a lot of people that loved her, though. Haha. But after reading this, I seemed a bit more fond of her the more thinking I did. Maybe my 'shell' is finally starting to break a bit about her.
However, I loved this volume. The action was fast and fun. I love the character interaction and the continuing witty dialogue. Ugh, I miss the show!!!

By the way, I believe I've failed to mention how amazing the artwork is in these!
Here's a look at two of the images:


Aren't they gorgeous?! :)

5 stars to both of these. And  I definitely plan to continue reading this graphic novel series.

P.S. I'm a HUGE Spike fan. I still say he was, and always will be, one of the best vampires ever. :P <3



Photobucket


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...