Monday, May 16, 2011

Review: Beyond Belief


Title: Beyond Belief: Finding the Strength to Come Back


Author: Josh Hamilton


Genre: Memoir


Let me first start off by saying that you don't have to like baseball or even know anything about who this amazing ballplayer is to appreciate this memoir. It's not a sports book. You don't open it up just to read about a man telling about his life of playing ball. Instead you get a truly awe-inspiring, engaging and motivational tale about his life (in the short years he's already lived so far) battling some really bad demons and how he's had to struggle through them. It's not just another "celebrity druggie" story, either, because he wasn't even quite famous yet when his battle began.



The thing is, I'm not too much of a religious person. Definitely not Christian, although that's the type of household and family I was brought up in through my own life. But my own personal beliefs? No. It's not me. I went into this book with a bit of trepidation, honestly, because I know that now Josh is "reborn" and I was cautious that the book would come off as preachy. It didn't in anyway. I highly respect everyone's beliefs, as I expect my own beliefs to be respected as well. So his faith being brought up throughout some passages didn't bother me a bit. I know that's what helped pull him through many of his struggles and I commend him for finding that strength.



There's something else people can learn about me. I'm a huge baseball fanatic. I played when I was a kid. Shortstop, outfield, and pitcher. Then I played softball through junior high.


The Texas Rangers have been my favorite team for years along with the Yankees (I know, weird combo right? But that's a part of growing up with my father when I was a little kid, and loving the two teams he loved also :P). Josh Hamilton has been my favorite ballplayer since the first moment I saw him play for the Rangers. I've been to many Rangers' games... and sat just slightly behind the dugout just so I could watch him better. lol. Sounds creepy, but no, it's because I admire him. Reading this book made me admire him so much more, too. It's an easy read, but I like that because it's in HIS voice.


One of the best memoirs I've read.
5 stars.


Photobucket


~The Bookaholic



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...