Saturday, April 2, 2011

Review: True Grit


True Grit

Author: Charles Portis

First Published in 1968



"True Grit" tells the story of Mattie Ross, who is just fourteen years old when the coward outlaw, Tom Chaney, shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas- and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150. Mattie leaves home to avenge to her father's murder. With one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest U.S. Marshall, by her side, Mattie pursues the killer into Indian Territory for an adventure that any normal fourteen year old wouldn't dare attempt.



Let me start by first saying: W.O.W.

Why have I not read this before?!


Not only is "True Grit" an American Classic that will immediately wrap you up into the story, but I personally found myself quickly very attached with Mattie. She is the narrator of the novel, recounting the story of how everything had happened some years later after the events.


If there ever was only one Western novel to read, this is it. On the whole, the Western genre doesn't appeal to me (normally). What made me want to read this book was the synopsis, the fact that it's a classic (and I've challenged to read five classics that haven't been read yet), two movies have been put out due to it, and the storyline from what I had originally gathered didn't come off as "cliched". By the way, no I haven't seen either movie, but I would like to now after reading this- just to compare or see if they're as good as this book.


Mattie is a strong, sassy and spunky female heroine. I adored her character. She will certainly be one to remember.


This book, I believe, stands out on its own and is appropriate for the young and old. I highly recommend reading this if you haven't.

This will be going down on my list of favorite classics. I just love the discovery of a book that you feel like will remain with you for a lifetime.

I believe "True Grit" will for me.


5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...