Saturday, July 27, 2013

ARC Review: Tumble & Fall

Title: Tumble & Fall
Author: Alexandra Coutts
Category/Genre: YA, Apocalyptic, Literary Fiction/Contemporary
Expected Release: September 17th


See it at Goodreads


A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings
The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week’s time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn’t how to save the world—the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family—all with the ultimate stakes at hand.


Tumble & Fall wasn’t quite what I expected it be. Though good in some ways, I couldn’t really enjoy it as much as I’d hoped through the several points of views and the not-so-exciting impending disaster novel I thought it was going to be. There’s an asteroid crashing to earth, and instead I end up reading about several characters that basically are living daily lives. It felt more like reading a Lifetime movie (not that I have anything against those because I’ve seen several that I really enjoy, too). And not much in the way of excitement. There’s not a lot of care as to what’s happening in the last few end days before the asteroid strikes. I don’t even get the sense of a world thrown into much chaos--which I’m sure we all know is exactly what would happen in reality.

But here’s my good points:

My attention was held, and most particularly, I grew attached to one certain character and her story. Zan. I loved reading about Zan, along with her friend Nick. Her POV seemed to show more into what I’d really wanted from this by the end. The chaos as they traveled into the city and saw how people were acting the closer to last days (Hellooo…old woman swinging golf club at them as they tried to ask for car parts. Lol).

I liked the idea behind the story. I got it. Spending time doing what you love/with who you love and making some dreams come true because you just never know. There are secret messages in this book. You’ll find them easy through the characters. Or maybe I just really like to symbolize things and be all philosophical. I don’t know. *shrug*

Overall, this was a compulsive read that I found charming and easily readable. I just wish it’d given me more oomph with the backdrop since it was supposed to be a disaster novel after all.

 



2 comments:

  1. A shame that it's not brilliantly epic, since that cover is really gorgeous. But, well, you really /shouldn't/ judge a book by its cover. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This was probably on the list of my favorite covers of 2013. Really pretty and eye-catching. I usually do get fooled by the pretties though. Not always, but it happens more often that I like. Lol.

      Delete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...