Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: Crescendo

Title: Crescendo (Hush, Hush #2)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Genre: YA Fantasy

Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it: a mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever and even worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadnt been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something.

Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself increasingly in dangerous situations as she desperately searches for answers. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts. --Goodreads


Sometimes sequels just don’t work out as well as we hoped, do they?

My expectations with Crescendo fell a little short after reading the greatness of Hush, Hush. I flew into this second book, admittedly putting it ahead of other books just because I couldn’t wait to read the installment, and I was let down a bit. The writing didn’t feel quite a solid this time around, and the characters felt somewhat different compared to the first.

I still highly enjoyed it, nonetheless. But my biggest complaint of all was the constant back-and-forth between Patch and Nora and the seemingly never-ending bantering. I did sympathize with Nora, but somehow couldn’t come to understand a lot of Patch’s actions--even once they were explained. I didn’t like Nora whining so much either. Ah well.
I liked how there were some unanswered questions finally answered in this installment. We get to see how events occurred in the past that lead to Nora’s situation, and I found those moments interesting. Sometimes I felt like there’s a lot of information still missing though.


All in all, while it was on the disappointing side, I still enjoyed Crescendo enough anyway to rush right through the pages.
I look forward to continuing on to the next installment.


4 stars!



Photobucket





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...