Saturday, January 14, 2012

ARC Review: Life is But a Dream

Title: Life is But a Dream
Author: Brian James
Genre: Contemporary, YA
Release Date:  March 27th


Alec and Sabrina are crazy in love. Problem is: Sabrina’s really crazy.

Sabrina, an artist, is diagnosed with schizophrenia, and her parents check her into the Wellness Center. There she meets Alec, who is convinced it's the world that's crazy, not the two of them. They are meant to be together; they are special. But when Alec starts to convince Sabrina that her treatment will wipe out everything that makes her creative, she worries that she'll lose hold of her dreams and herself. Should she listen to her doctor? Her decision may have fatal consequences.
--Goodreads




While a bit on the shorter side of most novels that I’ve read recently, Life is But a Dream still packed quite a punch--most particularly in the astounding detail that author Brian James gives readers through the point of view of a schizophrenic character.
In all honesty, I don’t know much about the mental disorder. I have an online friend whose husband is schizophrenic, but I personally couldn’t tell you much. I do know it can cause a stir among family and friends, strain relationships and make it slightly difficult at times depending on how severe or how well-treated the case is.

I felt Brian James did a tremendous job of showing us how different and struggling it can be. I liked the character development, but moreso I loved the imagery and how much we get to see inside Sabrina’s head. The romance felt forced at times though. I would have liked to see more of it, get to know Alec better, but I also enjoyed the sweet and charming ending.


All in all, this was engaging and unique. I was flipping through the pages and enjoying every bit of the beautiful and unusual details. Lyrical and sometimes poetic--the cover is even gorgeous, I adore it-- this is certainly a Contemporary I’m glad I took the time to read.


4 stars!





Photobucket





Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Aside from its alluring cover, your review made me more excited to read this book. It sounds so intriguing. Great review Pixie!x

    ✿FICBOOKREVIEWS✿

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...