Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ARC Review: Tris & Izzy

Title: Tris & Izzy
Author: Mette Ivie Harrison
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: October 11th


A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school. --Goodreads

Thank you, NetGalley, and EgmontUSA, for the opportunity to read this. This, of course, does not affect my opinion in any way.



It’s not like me to hate a book. Yes, I’ve disliked quite a few. Found some nitpicks. But hate? Very rare.
With Tris & Izzy though, I was on the borderline of just flat-out hating it. If it hadn’t been on my e-reader, I may have even thrown it across the room. Wow, so unlike me to even rag on something so much like that, it’s unreal. Something just really annoyed me about this one, though. The characters, perhaps? I still can't quite put my finger on it. I fount a lot of aggravating "nitpicks" in this.

The idea was there. Genuinely, I thought it would have been a fantastic idea. Magic, monsters, romance… a re-telling of the infamous Tristan and Isolde. Who wouldn’t want to read something like that?! But no, the execution was just awful. My dear, Mette Ivie Harrison, oftentimes you wrote as if the readers were stupid and amateur. Allow me to clue you in. Most YA readers are in fact older, a lot even are adults.

Details were lacking. The flow was off because of this… it felt so monotone. Events and actions made by the characters in some areas were unrealistic. The dialogue so cheesy and the characters absolutely had no dimension or depth. Such a beautiful cover to lure the readers. Hook, line, and sinker all right. I really wanted to love this story, but I just couldn’t. In the end, I just laughed at it. I’m sorry.

If you’re younger than fourteen, you may like this book, love it even. But if you’re older, wiser, or have read a lot more, then it probably won’t work out as great for you, either. I don’t think I’ll be on the recommending side of this one.

I was going to give it one star. But in the light of being nice, and the fact that I did think the author did step outside of the box and come up with a decent idea- just did terrible with the execution of it- I’ll give it two stars.



Photobucket




Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of dislike for this one. Thanks for the review, I'll save my money and just look at the nice cover online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few things I CAN'T STAND when it comes to reading-- one is when the author treats the reader like a complete imbecile, and a second is when the dialogue is so freaking cheesy you can't help but laugh out loud (granted, sometimes this can be entertaining, but it doesn't help me to respect the book or the writing.)

    Thanks for your honest review! No need to apologize, if a book wasn't written or executed well, by all means you should say what was frustrating about it :)

    PS~ If you want to see a truly ranting review, read mine of Passion or Torment by Lauren Kate lol-- I totally let loose with those ones...

    Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I am not the only one who had a problem with this book! I read it last week and I struggled to finish it. It pretty much made me want to bang my head against the wall the entire time.
    Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will definitely pass up this one. (though it is a reminder that I've been meaning to read the original)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol thanks. I guess I just feel bad sometimes for disliking a book. I don't know why. haha.. I know we can't like them all. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this for review from NetGalley as well and so far I've seen quite a few reviews that pan it, so you aren't alone in your opinion

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
    www.bookdout.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...