Saturday, June 1, 2013

Armchair BEA: Children's Books to YA (Genre Discussion)




I have a confession to make.


I’m an adult that reads YA.


Okay. You already knew that. Duh.  Seriously though, I didn’t read a lot of YA until I was nearly out of my teens. I already went through that discussion earlier this week so I won’t go all repetitive on you or anything. The majority of my favorites list nowadays consists of YA books and I’m always recommending them to everyone I know—not even caring how old someone else may be. And when they give me some cray look about the material, I just tell them “trust me.” But why do I like YA so much? IMO, there’s a really fine line in recent YA that seems it’s not quite for just teens anymore like it used to be. Now it touches on topics that are easily relatable to even my age group and older. I find myself drawn to these characters and the stories are good. I shouldn’t have to restrict myself from a good book just because of my age anyway.

This is going to be hard but I’m going to narrow down my top five favorite YA books/series here*:

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Vampire Academy/Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

 

*Not including the obvious Hunger Games and Harry Potter—which would automatically be put on all my lists anyway.

 

Ah. And my youngest stepdaughter (age 11) says she HIGHLY recommends in MG:

The Dork Diaries
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Monster High

I really quite enjoyed Neil Gaiman’s MG The Graveyard Book, but she didn’t like that one. To each their own. Haha!


What are some of your favorite YA and Children's books?



3 comments:

  1. I loooove The Graveyard Book!! It's one of my all-time favorites. But I haven't read any of your Top Five except TFiOS... =S I know, I know - All of them are on my TBR list though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vampire academy/ bloodlines, wicked lovely as well as divergent, fallen, hush hush, hunger games, harry potter lol I love YA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have GOT to read Vamp Academy.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...