Friday, April 26, 2013

Shakespeare Month Read-A-Long: Final Act




Unfortunately there's only been two posts between Thoughts of an Endless Dreamer and I this year for this event. Both of us seemed to have things come up at the worst times and things didn't quite work out the way we'd planned. There's always next year, though! And I'm still doing the Classics' Challenge all year long, which anytime I post a review in connection with that, I'll be sure to have an attached button to make a note.

Closing out the Shakespeare Month, I'm doing a quick recap to say we finished off the month reading (re-reading) Much Ado About Nothing and Othello. I personally found a new favorite with Much Ado--which I hadn't picked up since high school--and also realized how much more I like Othello now that I'm older and can appreciate the story and characters than when I was younger. It's a funny thing that...as much as I liked Shakespeare as a teen, too, there were several of his plays that I just didn't get at the time also. That's why I like taking the opportunity to do re-reads every so often. :)

On Tuesday, we celebrated Shakespeare's date of birth (born April 23, 1564--died April 23, 1616) and I tweeted out the question: "What is your favorite Shakespeare play (or plays)?"

Well... I certainly have more than one. Lol. I do believe my top favorite will always be Romeo & Juliet. It was the first I'd ever read, the characters I know best. I watched several adaptations. I've read it so many times. I've adored several books based on the play. You get the picture by now. :P It's probably cliche to say that I love this one the best since it's his most well-known play, but I don't care.

Another favorite of mine has always been Macbeth. And most recently, I've found myself being drawn in more and more to Hamlet--despite my initial distaste for it in the beginning.

I don't just like his tragedies though...so not to worry! Of course I adored Much Ado because the character dynamics are just outstanding, and A Midsummer Night's Dream because well, it's Puck.

What are some books I'd recommend reading if you're a Shakespeare fan?

Escape From Verona by David Gray -- It's a re-telling of what could've happened if Romeo & Juliet had actually faked their deaths and went on the run from their families. Along the way, they meet some other notable characters from some of Shakespeare's most famous works like Petruchio and Desdemona and Othello.

Falling For Hamlet by Michelle Ray -- Absolutely one of my favorites so far. A Contemporary re-telling of Hamlet (obviously) and I thought the author did a fantastic job of bringing the story to the modern age, which is often hard to do. This book made me re-read Hamlet and fall in love with it even more. So I had to give it the bonus points for that.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion -- Everyone always acts so surprised when I tell them that this one is loosely inspired by Romeo & Juliet? Anyway. Definite recommendation.

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa -- I can't say for sure, but I can see an inspiration from A Midsummer Night's Dream. At least there's several key characters used. Puck, Tatiana, Oberon, Queen Mab. And it's a wonderful series full of amazing characters that you'll get easily attached to.


Do you have any recommendations of your own?


And with Shakespeare Month coming to a close, I leave you with this:






 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...