Sunday, February 3, 2013

ARC Review: The Goddess Inheritance

Title: The Goddess Inheritance (The Goddess Test #3)
Author: Aimee Carter
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: February 26th


See it at Goodreads


Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.


During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.




I don’t even know where to begin with The Goddess Inheritance. In fact, I’d originally had a pretty long (mostly ranting) review written before but backspaced all of it and re-wrote because I wasn’t in the mood to post that one. Also, I don’t like putting in spoilers and the previous one was me ranting and raving about some serious spoilers. Ha.

Anyway, what I can say positive about this series is that it is in an odd way compulsively readable. No matter how much I disliked the characters and this strange story, I still continued on with the story for some weird reason--all the while, laughing my ass off or rolling my eyes. Here’s the gist of the entire series: we have a teen girl practically taken hostage and forced to marry. Falls in love with her new husband that I think is along the lines of like a thousand years old if I’m not mistaken--and he is a virgin (wtf??). Constantly complains, whines, and clings to him that he “doesn’t love her as much as she loves him” and needs to be reassured non-stop by everyone around her, including him. Gets pregnant after an aphrodisiac-filled night. Taken hostage again by the bad guy. Has martyr complex (which I don’t find a problem with too much--I’d rather the martyr complex than the never-ending damsel-in-distress… BUT she had such a martyr complex that it kept making her the damsel so it went both ways). Kate could absolutely not see any kind of reasoning with her best friend and the hateful behavior toward her made no sense. This is a basic summary of my dislikes of entire series.


My first reviews of books one and two were a combo--reviewed together, and were about an average of 2.5-3. Since then, my opinions have changed a bit, so I won’t link back to old reviews. My ratings now would be slightly lower--though I would still say the first book was the better one of the three. The Goddess Test was my deciding factor to give the trilogy a try and see where it went from there, so I would say that it’s completely up to the reader.

Why did I continue after the first book? Like I said above, it has an odd sense of readability to it despite my dislikes. It’s a fast read. The characters are unlikeable and aggravating as hell though, especially with all their relationship/lust drama (can you say creepy love square?). The idea is there with a potentially gripping story, but I didn’t feel it at all and would’ve liked to see much more.


 



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I decided to give up on this series after the previous book.

    I wish you'd posted the ranty one, because I want to see what happened without reading it. Though I can understand why you didn't.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...