Monday, July 16, 2012

ARC Review: Undead

Title: Undead
Author: Kirsty McKay
Genre: YA Horror
Release Date: September 1st

See it at Goodreads

Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby.

The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty.

Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.

But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late.




I love zombies as much as I love my vampires. And that’s saying something because I’ve loved vampires since I was probably six years old. Granted, I haven’t been part of the zombie craze as long as some people…and really, I haven’t got into them until the last couple of years when they stole my brains…er…heart. I totally meant heart. And I didn’t mean in some weird twisted way. Metaphorically, of course.


Back on topic. Zombies are awesome. And I love reading a good zombie story any day.


Undead wasn’t the best thing I’ve read since getting into the genre, but it was good. It certainly packed a punch when it came to action and held a good sassy narrative. This was something that had all action and started with a bang right from the beginning. There wasn’t really any story exactly, other than monsters and a bunch of ass kicking and blood and gore through out, but it was entertaining nonetheless. At times, it felt like I was watching a cheesy horror film though and that’s because it’s your typical zombie book with traditional clichés of shuffling, arms out zombies. I didn’t really find anything that made it POP. Not much else I can add to that. But it is funny, full of excellent sarcastic quips, and quite fast-paced. It didn’t stun me in comparison to other zombie novels I’ve read. Especially recently when I’ve read some true greats that I would probably recommend over this one first to be honest.


However, I would still recommend it to the zombie fans. If you’re zombie-crazed, you’ll probably enjoy. At the very least, you’ll get a few laughs and excitement.

3.5 stars!






Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to read this. Zombie stories are definitely the best. I am looking forward to reading this scary story. You did a great review.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...