Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: The Mayfair Moon

Title: The Mayfair Moon
Author: J.A. Redmerski
Genre: YA Paranormal, Romance

See it at Goodreads


After a nightmarish encounter with a werewolf, seventeen-year-old Adria Dawson loses her sister, but gains the love of a mysterious young man and his legendary family.

Strange and tragic things begin to happen in the small town of Hallowell, Maine: residents come down with an unexplainable ‘illness’ and some disappear. In the midst of everything, Isaac Mayfair is adamant about keeping Adria safe, even from her sister whom he has warned her to stay away from.

As unspeakable secrets unfold all around Adria, impossible choices become hers to bear. Ultimately, no matter what path she takes, her life and the lives of those she loves will be in peril. As she learns about the werewolf world she also learns why her place in it will change the destinies of many.


It’s easy to sum up The Mayfair Moon. Twilight without the vampires. Instead, it’s just werewolves.

Have I also ever mentioned that I don’t like Twilight? No? Well, I don’t. Not a fan at all. So for me to get into The Mayfair Moon, which not only had Twilight qualities, but had werewolves to add--oh yeah, I’ve never been a big werewolf fan either--was refreshing and surprising. There was something about it that hooked me from the start and kept me turning the pages, and that’s certainly good. Maybe I can finally find my way into liking the wolfy beings. Or at least more often now.


This isn’t a slow read. I liked that best. There was always action going on with details that allowed easy visuals. The characters are quickly developed with unique personalities, and the narrative is spunky and fresh. I had some minor nitpicks though, I admit. I’ve seen a lot of people swooning over Isaac. Sadly, I didn’t. Nothing personal. He ticked me off on several occasions to be honest as did Adria. I’ve never been a fan of insta-love to begin with, and I just felt that immediately when she met him. Before she even knew a thing about Isaac, she was claiming “feelings” by his hunky looks alone. That just aggravates me personally. Get to know the guy first. Sure, he’s hot, okay…but don’t get your pants in a wad when he’s hanging on a girl and barely knows you exist yet. Get what I’m saying? That was my slight annoyance with the characters. They finally grew on me toward the end, but it’s still a couple I’ll have to watch grow more in the future. Though I did really like the overall development of the story and the action. Alexandra was my favorite surprisingly. Her development from the change was fantastic and spot-on. Complete 180 and it showed exceptionally well through the events.


I really look forward to seeing where this all goes from here. Werewolves, action, romance. Definitely recommend it if you’re looking for something along these lines. And of course, WAY better than Twilight like I said. Ha.



Photobucket



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great review, Pixie! Despite what you didn't like, I'm glad the rest was enough to make you like it enough to give it 4 stars. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...