Tuesday, September 13, 2011

ARC Review: Shattered Dreams

Title: Shattered Dreams
Author: Ellie James
Genre: YA Fantasy, Paranormal, Mystery
Release Date: December 6th


Sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But that isn’t as easy as it seems. Trinity is different. She is special. She sees visions, and for those she’s seen, it’s already too late.

Trinity arrives on her aunt’s doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. She begins settling into life at a new school and even starts making friends. But all too quickly her dreams accelerate; twisted, terrifying visions of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader, Jessica, goes missing, Trinity knows she has no choice but to step forward with what she’s seen.

But people believe that Trinity has information about Jessica’s disappearance not because of a dream, but because she is involved. She is kind-of dating Jessica’s ex-boyfriend, Chase, and Jessica did pull a nasty prank on Trinity. Revenge seems like the likeliest scenario.

Nothing prepares Trinity for the dark odyssey that ensues while searching for Jessica, including the surprising romance she finds with Chase, or the shocking truths she learns, not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her. --Goodreads


Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Griffin for the opportunity to read Shattered Dreams!




Shattered Dreams was unique and fascinating. It’s not too often that I pick up a book in this genre where the MC isn’t some supernatural creature. Instead, just a human with special abilities. Clairvoyance to be precise.


Did you know that it’s been said that every human being has some kind of mental capability of clairvoyance or sensitivity? Just not many people know how to “tap” into it so it lies dormant and that’s why it seems like such a rare gift for those who can. That’s a bit off topic, I know. And something like that might even start a debate, not sure. Just a little piece of information I thought I’d share. :P


Anyways, I really liked this one because of the difference among most others. It was unique and enjoyable. Highly engaging and the mystery kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.


I just had a few minor problems with it. At times, I got a bit annoyed with Trinity and how her reactions played out with certain instances. I also didn’t like the insta-love with Trinity and Chase. I’m all for romance in a book most of the time, if it’s done well and not too quick if you know what I mean… and I really felt that the relationship build-up between the two was just not greatly executed.
These were minor annoyances though that I overlooked easily since I enjoyed the story so much.


Also, loooovee the setting! New Orleans! I’ve never been personally, even though I only live five and half hours away or so, but I would love to go. I also tend to like settings around the southern parts like that. It makes me feel like I know more since I know the basic area. Haha!


A misunderstanding I seem to have is that this says it’s going to be a series. I don’t see it. The first book ended on a note that could have left it completely as a stand-alone. Not everything has to be serialized, ya know? But I guess we’ll see where this goes from here. I enjoyed Shattered Dreams so much, I would definitely read the next book, either way.


Good read. I definitely recommend, especially if you’re looking for something different and away from the usual Paranormal.


4 stars!



Photobucket




Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm fixing to read this. Glad to know you liked it so much! Great Review.

    Kristin @ Better Read Than Dead

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...