Monday, August 29, 2011

Review: That Day in September

Title: That Day in September
Author: Artie Van Why


We all have our stories to tell of where we were the morning of September 11, 2001. This is one of them. In "That Day In September" Artie Van Why gives an eyewitness account of that fateful morning. From the moment he heard "a loud boom" in his office across from the World Trade Center, to stepping out onto the street, Artie vividly transports the reader back to the day that changed our lives and our country forever. "That Day In September" takes you beyond the events of that morning. By sharing his thoughts, fears, and hopes, Artie expresses what it was like to be in New York City in the weeks and months following. The reader comes away from "That Day In September" with not only a more intimate understanding of the events of that day, but also with a personal glimpse of how one person's life was dramatically changed forever. --Goodreads


For most of us, September 11, 2001, is a date that is etched into our memories. We remember what we were doing that morning, where exactly we were at, and when the news hit, how we reacted. With the tenth anniversary of that sorrowful day approaching, there’s going to be a look back into this day as I’m sure we’ll all dredge up old memories and our own stories. This is one such story of looking back and remembering that day, the impact it had on one person's life, and the events that unfolded around him. Even for those who weren’t there, it was an impact on the entire country and we all were affected in some way or another. Whether it be that we looked at life a whole new way, lost someone we knew, fought in the following war, or whatever it may have been. Life for many of us wasn’t the same after September 11th.


I remember I was in high school still. I had just arrived to my first class, Yearbook/Newspaper, and was in a great mood because the previous day I had been named Editor of both productions. But the smile instantly faded when the teacher switched on the television to the news because she had received word from another staff member to turn it on right away, and we usually watched the news in that class anyway. The images I was seeing were frightening, confusing… and I cried throughout the day for everyone there. The victims and the endless support of the police and fire department. My father had just passed two months prior to 9/11, and I remember (very guiltily) thinking, “I’m kind of glad he’s not here to see this horror.” It was awful of me, I’m sure, because at the same time I wanted nothing more than to have him there. He was a military man- and would have been quite comforting. Then I remember my fear and confusion turning to anger… and finally it turned to pride. Pride for how everyone joined together in that extreme time of need.


When Mr. Artie Van Why asked me to read and review That Day in September, I admit I was hesitant. Not because I feared it would be a bad read, but because of the subject matter. How can I possibly rate someone’s personal account of what they went through on 9/11? It was sad as I read along, recounting the memories with him- most particularly during the portions of the people jumping from the buildings. I remember being horrified and crying just seeing that on television that morning. I couldn’t even begin to imagine seeing it through his eyes.


Mr. Artie Van Why’s story takes you through his experience of 9/11 and how he faced life afterwards. There’s a few instances that jump back and forth between past and present- so that he allows the reader to get to know him a bit better and what eventually led him to New York in the first place. I’m not entirely a huge fan of “time-jumping” but I found these areas interesting since I was getting to know the author as well- making me capable enough to sympathize, instead of just reading about the event he witnessed. In the end, I found myself finishing quickly, a few tears in my eyes.


While this is not a long, drawn out story of the day’s events- it’s a personal one. It’s chilling and emotional. It reminds us all that we can certainly move on with our lives without forgetting. And we shouldn’t forget.




Photobucket




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...