Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review: Dead Until Dark

Title: Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse Series / True Blood # 1)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy / Romance


Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome - and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the kind of guy she's been waiting for all her life.

But Bill has a disability of his own: He's a vampire. Worse than that, hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind.

And when one of Sookie's colleagues is killed, she begins to fear she'll be next. --Goodreads



Dead Until Dark was so unbelievably riveting!

Here’s the stitch: I’ve been hesitant for some time to pick up on anything True Blood due to the insane craze wrapped around the series, both television and books. Yes, I was interested in reading the books, and even slightly interested in seeing the show when I first heard about it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to pick any bit of it up for awhile because I was honestly scared I would be let down. It’s happened before. I didn’t want to go through that again, getting myself all hyped only to be disappointed.

Lo and behold, one of my best friends just would not give up on me. She insisted. A huge fan of the show, she constantly bugged me with, “You seriously need to try it” peer pressure and constant nagging. Knowing that I’m more of a reader, she suggested that if I wanted to ease myself into the “craze”, maybe try reading the books first, and then I can come over to her house later for a True Blood watch-party. Haha!

Finally, I caved. I couldn’t pass it up anymore. I knew I wanted to read it. At least to see what the big hype was about, anyway. And well, now I may just go total fan girl on all of you because I absolutely fell head over heels IN LOVE with it! It was sexy, dark, and gripping! The characters were entertaining and fun, and I absolutely loved the world that Ms. Harris created. I could not put it down, and finished quickly with so much excitement.

Why, oh why, did I wait so long to read? I’m ashamed of myself for that now. No matter, I will be buying every book over the next several weeks, and I will be taking my friend up on that offer of a True Blood watch-party so I can see the show, too.

Of course, I see why there’s the craze now, and you can bet I’m on board as well!

5 stars!




Photobucket



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...