Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Review: Brightwing

Title: Brightwing
Author: Sullivan Lee
Genre: Adult Crime/Romance



Edgar and Mallory Battle are on the run after a spectacularly violent escape. Now, with a trail of bodies behind them, they need a hostage against the inevitable standoff with the police. Their first doesn't last long, thanks to sociopathic Mallory. Edgar has been hiding his brother's crimes since they were kids. Now he's torn between family loyalty and self-preservation.

They carjack Lucy Brightwing, a criminal fresh from her own heist, with a fortune of uncut gems hidden in her vehicle. She could escape - but she won't abandon her millions. She could kill the Battle brothers, but she has to be careful. For one thing, if the law investigates, they'll find her ill-gotten loot. For another, her own life is sacred. She's the last member of a Florida paleoindian tribe thought to be extinct - the Tequesta. With her share of the money she plans to buy, bribe and blackmail her way into her own ancestral tribal lands in the heart of the Everglades: a Tequesta nation.

Lucy leads the brothers into her beloved swamp, determined to kill them. But when she falls for Edgar she must decide whether to risk her heritage and the future of her tribe to save the doomed brothers. -- See it at Goodreads



Jam packed with action, Brightwing wasn’t at all what I had originally expected. Initially going into it, I didn’t think know what to think of the whole premise, but I found it a unique idea. From someone who doesn’t read crime novels too often, I can say that this took me by surprise and became one of those on my list that I enjoyed in the genre. In fact, it’s became apparent that I’m rather enjoying this genre the few times I’ve read in it.

Brightwing was different. The characters are well-crafted and developed through, and honestly I have to say I didn’t like them. But this was a rare case that not liking the characters didn’t pull me away from the story- rather it drew me into the story instead. They were intriguing in a sense. Criminals like that in the real world, a normal person would be screaming for justice, not wanting to see their freedom. Reading this brought on a lot of thoughts and questions on behalf of the characters in this situation. Do I want to see them go free or do I want to see them punished?

Lucy brought on waves of curiosity. I loved reading her legends and the interesting life style of hers. Native legends and history in general have always fascinated me. To see it crafted through the story was very nicely done.

Brightwing brought on emotion, too. Disgust, hate, anger, joy, love, heartache, and more. I liked that. I liked being emotionally drawn into a story, despite feeling a bit withdrawn from the characters due to their actions. It kept me reading, and the action was high and nail-biting.

A riveting, compulsive read.
4 stars!


Photobucket





Photobucket



*Thank you, Sullivan Lee, for the great opportunity to read Brightwing!*
**I received an e-book copy of Brightwing from Sullivan Lee for review. This does not influence my opinion in any way.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...