Tuesday, July 5, 2011

ARC Review: The Mephisto Covenant

First and foremost, thank you goes out to NetGalley and Egmont USA for the opportunity to read The Mephisto Covenant. This, of course, in no way influences my opinion whatsoever.

Title: The Mephisto Covenant
Author: Trinity Faegen
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy/Romance
Release Date: September 27th


Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life? --Goodreads



I had high expectations for The Mephisto Covenant. But it fell a little flat for me in the end.
Perhaps it was because it wasn't exactly what I had imagined... the synopsis didn't give much in the area of what the story was exactly about, and so when I first picked it up, I had a different idea in mind, only to discover something else entirely.

Was that a bad thing? No, it wasn't. It wasn't terrible at all. I quite enjoyed reading about the history and legend put into the story. In some ways, much of this reminded me of a "Black Dagger Brotherhood" for dark angels instead of vampires. It is about a group of brothers as well, and in the end, I couldn't help but wonder if the author is going to go in a similar direction with the series- making each following book focus on each individual brother. That would be nice. Of course, this is just speculation and thoughts on my part. Nothing that I know for sure.

There were a lot of elements that I'd say that while many of the characters were YA, the story itself didn't come across quite as YA. Maybe this is just my opinion, though. I can't really say why, either, because I don't want to and never put in spoilers in my reviews.

At times, I felt it dragged on a bit with too much detail/explanation. It was like Sasha just didn't "get it" after the hundredth time of it getting explained to her, so that instance was a bit annoying from time to time. The romance got cheesy on occasion. But then I saw some sweet moments that redeemed the cheesy ones. And the ending was abrupt and fell completely flat sorry to say. It even left me going "Wait, what? That was the ending?" :/

All in all you may like this series, moreso if you're a Black Dagger Brotherhood fan even. And hey, I'm a big fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but this just didn't quite live up to the hype for me. It was still good, and I'll likely continue on with the series as well. Perhaps the first book was more about character and information introduction. I'll have to wait and see with the second whenever it may come out.

I can see this book and series being very popular.

3 stars.


Photobucket



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't care for it much, but it really does look quite interesting! Great review :D

    Don't be a stranger; stop by my blog and say hi! I'm not quite sure if we're fellow followers, but I follow you!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...