Sunday, July 17, 2011

ARC Review: A Beautiful Dark

Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: September 27


Skye never questioned the story of her life. Her Aunt Jo adopted her after the death of her parents when she was just a child, and together they flip through memories the way some people flip through photo albums.

She never questioned if the stories were true.

Until the night of her 17th birthday, when the arrival of two strangers intrudes on her cozy life. Polar opposites, like fire and ice, Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair, cold, and aloof. Skye has no idea what they want—only that their presence coincides with the beginning of some shockingly strange events. Events that Skye, if she dares to think it, might be responsible for causing.

High up in the mountains of Boulder, Colorado, Skye finds herself caught in the middle of an ancient battle, one that began untold millennia ago. Torn between unpredictable Asher, whom she loves, and the infuriating Devin, who she can’t stay away from, her fate is murky as a starless night. And as the secrets of her true identity are revealed, Skye realizes that her destiny may reside in the Heavens—or somewhere darker. --Goodreads



Thank you, NetGalley and HarperCollins, for the opportunity to read A Beautiful Dark. This, of course, does not influence my opinion in any way.

There’s no question that angels are one of the new “it” thing in YA fiction right now. Honestly, I’ve had a hard time catching onto this hype. Seems that every piece I’ve picked up just hasn’t quite cut it for me and I was ready to give up on trying novels that revolved around angels.


This time, A Beautiful Dark may have changed my mind.

I really enjoyed the fun atmosphere with this one, as well as the budding romance. My only complaint? Romance was a bit too fast, and there was a slight love triangle in the works. My immediate literary guy interest in this one should not have had to battle any kind of love triangle. Haha. Nonetheless, there were quirky characters that I enjoyed and wished I could have read more into. Skye’s best friend annoyed me at times. She had quite the personality.

The action was fast paced and the legend was intriguing. I hope this will be a series. I was biting my nails at the end, only wishing that wasn’t the ending. It was tragic and tear-jerking. Not many endings do that to me.

Great read.

4 stars!



Photobucket




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...