Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Challenges

This year is about reading challenges for me. I'm trying to read more outside my usual boundaries. Of course, I'm still enjoying a lot of my favorite genres as well, but at the same time, I'm planning on delving into others that I normally wouldn't find myself picking up, too.

While planning through my lists of to-reads, it got me to thinking. There are some classics that I've been meaning to read for a long time, that I've just never got around to read. You know, those types that we all say, "Oh, I've heard so much about that, but honestly I've never read that." Then the person standing there looks at you in shock because of it. haha. Well, I've decided to start my own reading challenge because of this.

There's the 50 book challenge where everyone participating reads 50 books in a year. That's a challenge I've been active in since hearing of it last year. There's the e-book challenge if you're a participator in that (and I'd like to add that I'm not- I don't own an e-reader and in no rush to get one). I honestly don't know of many of these challenges at the moment because I'm just an obsessed reader for myself mostly.

So here's the stitch. My apologies ahead of time if there's already a challenge out there somewhere in the networld like this. My challenge, for myself, and for anyone else who is interested in participating is to read FIVE classic books that you have never read before, but have been meaning to read, by December 31st. That's right, I'm only saying FIVE.

Mostly I'm only saying five because it's already about the end of March, so a bit of a late start for the challenge. I also didn't want to tack on a high number to anyone who's participating in other reading challenges as well. Five is reasonable- and it adds to your reading count if you're doing the 50 book challenge.

So, what will your five be?

Mine will be:

1. True Grit by Charles Portis
2. 1984 by George Orwell
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinback
4. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
5. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

------------------------------------------------------------------


Challenge # 2 that I've decided on as well:

I call it "The Shakespeare Challenge".

As of April 23, it marks the anniversary of William Shakespeare's death. I am a very BIG Shakespeare dork... and well, it's been quite some time since I've picked up any of his work, sadly. I own every piece. :) Quite a collection... like I said, I'm a dork. :P

So, my challenge for this is to read FOUR Shakespeare plays of your choice by December 31st. With this challenge, it can be a re-read, seeing as how I understand that it may have been some time since someone has read something, and may want to re-read one of their favorites. But I'd recommend reading something you haven't, if you haven't read all of his work yet, too. :)

Anyways, enjoy! Drop some comments here if you're participating in the challenges. I'd love to see any reviews you may post on your own blogs!

And if you want me to, I can make some buttons for these two challenges if you want buttons for your blogs or anything. Just let me know. :)

<3

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely gonna do these challenges :)

    I've been wanting to start the 50 book challenge also, I know its a bit of a late start but I pretty confident that I can do it lol :)

    As for the five classic books, I think I'll do:

    1. The Catcher In The Rye
    2. The Great Gatsby
    3. Kidnapped
    4. David Copperfield
    5. The Grapes of Wrath

    And I adore Shakespeare! :) so that will be fun for me, although some will be re-reads since there are only a few I haven't read yet lol :)

    <3 Taylor :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line! We love having your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...